Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Compare/Contrast with other games?
05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: Compare/Contrast with other games?
Hi Brasidas,

I'm not sure that I am the most qualified to answer as I have a love for WWI a/c that means I would get this game whatever.

I am also a FWs player which I do like but it definitely feels more of a chore to do than Canvas Falcons (CF). I have only been playing CF since last Saturday but it already feels more intuitive and easier to play. I can pretty much think what I want to do and then go straight to the log sheet. With FW I usually have to check the rules in case there is an exception to the rule etc.

Please understand that I am not saying FW is bad - it isn't - but I think CF gets 99% of the effect with, say, 60% of the rules overhead. I am also not saying that CF is more simplistic as it isn't. It just seems to get there with less baggage.

Similarities include 30 degree facing, ADC (Aircraft Data Charts) whilst the rest (at least for me) seems slicker and more intuitive. The combat system seems more refined in CF as well - no odds based attacks which always seemed strange to me. Oh I also love the fact that I can do transitions for part of the move and roll for part of the move - it feels good to pull the nose up and then roll on the a/cs back (in one turn) ready for an inverted dive on the next one.

I have also played Birds of Prey (BOP) which is good as well, but you are pretty much forced to focus on a single aircraft as the Nomographs take some filling in. I like the fact that I can easily fly several a/c in CF without too much brain burn.

Finally I would say that I like the idea of being able to learn a single set of base rules that I can carry forward into all eras.

As you can tell I'm becoming a bit of a fan boy for CF so take this into account but I would say that if you like WWI aircraft then get it, get it now.

Maybe we could have a VASSAL game sometime?

Hope this helps

Ross
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Compare/Contrast with other games? - Canvaschicken - 05-06-2014 07:34 AM