Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Compare/Contrast with other games?
06-27-2014, 05:42 PM
RE: Compare/Contrast with other games?
I enjoyed reading your review. You and I feel the same way.
I began WW-I air gaming with Milton Bradley's Dogfight when I was young, and from there I graduated to Guidon Games Fight in the Skies when it came out. I was hooked. But, as a kid, WW-I pilots were the heroes and adventurer's (WW-II not so much. EVERYBODY'S father was in WW-II, and with so many veterans all over the place, it was too commonplace and recent for us kids).

One of the things CF impressed me with, and all the other games lacked, was that you could read about something written by a pilot and then see the same thing develop in the game. The airplanes performed realistically enough to make my Air Combat Maneuvering book really useful. And what clinched it was (this may sound odd) discovering what the utility of a Hammerhead Stall was. In all the other games, such a maneuver was either useless, or couldn't really be reproduced, or was a messy form of suicide. So here I was flying an early model Albatros D-II against Nieuport 17s. Nieuport 17s are like Zeros. Speedy enough, incredibly maneuverable, light, and fragile. But, like the zero, you did not dogfight them. And when they got on your tail you were in serious Kimchee. The early Albatros D-II was very much like an F4F to them. I was tough, had lots of firepower, and was not near as maneuverable. The Nieuport, flown by our illustrious designer, got on my tail and stuck there. I was staring at some serious trouble. And thus the utility of the Hammerhead stall. I pulled the nose up, did my stall, and he shot right by! Saved my precious German butt! And the stall acted just like they did in the air shows.

Joe
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Compare/Contrast with other games? - Mogadeet - 06-27-2014 05:42 PM