Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AOM modifier
05-10-2014, 01:03 PM
AOM modifier
I'm reading through the rules, and have got to Page 59, Rule 33.0, Deflection Modifier

I get the VOA calculation, but it then goes on to say "Determine AOM. Use the number (0 through 3) shown in each arc of the Vertical Angle Off Table. For example, the 15C and 15D arcs is 0 and 45C and 45D arc is 1"

My question is, where are these values listed? Obviously, each arc has a number listed in it (0 through to 6 duplicated 4 times for attacker and defender climbing and diving). But these numbers don't match up to the example given for 45C and 45D ("1") as their value is 3

I'm obviously missing something. Can someone please point it out to me because I've been stuck on this for 30 minutes now :-)

Cheers

Drew
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2014, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2014 01:41 PM by Canvaschicken.)
RE: AOM modifier
(05-10-2014 01:03 PM)drewshotsfan Wrote:  I'm reading through the rules, and have got to Page 59, Rule 33.0, Deflection Modifier

I get the VOA calculation, but it then goes on to say "Determine AOM. Use the number (0 through 3) shown in each arc of the Vertical Angle Off Table. For example, the 15C and 15D arcs is 0 and 45C and 45D arc is 1"

My question is, where are these values listed? Obviously, each arc has a number listed in it (0 through to 6 duplicated 4 times for attacker and defender climbing and diving). But these numbers don't match up to the example given for 45C and 45D ("1") as their value is 3

I'm obviously missing something. Can someone please point it out to me because I've been stuck on this for 30 minutes now :-)

Cheers

Drew

Hi Drew,

I believe what you are looking for is in the charts at the start of the combat tables. On the chart labelled 'Vertical Angle off Table' (a circular diagram at the top right of the page) the AOM numbers are on the inside of the circle.

Hope this helps

Ross

p.s. If the example is saying 1 for 45C then the example is wrong as it should be 3 as per the table.
05-10-2014, 02:01 PM
(05-10-2014 01:40 PM)Canvaschicken Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:03 PM)drewshotsfan Wrote:  I'm reading through the rules, and have got to Page 59, Rule 33.0, Deflection Modifier

Cheers

Drew

Hi Drew,

I believe what you are looking for is in the charts at the start of the combat tables. On the chart labelled 'Vertical Angle off Table' (a circular diagram at the top right of the page) the AOM numbers are on the inside of the circle.

Hope this helps

Ross

p.s. If the example is saying 1 for 45C then the example is wrong as it should be 3 as per the table.

Thanks Ross Smile

So that means the examples in the training book are incorrect too, because I read through the shot calculations for each turn and it listed different numbers from the ones on the inside of the circle! So, in other words, I had it right all the time, but the text in the rules and training book is wrong. Bah, that wasted some time Sad

Cheers again Ross

Drew
05-10-2014, 04:13 PM
(05-10-2014 01:03 PM)drewshotsfan Wrote:  Thanks Ross Smile

So that means the examples in the training book are incorrect too, because I read through the shot calculations for each turn and it listed different numbers from the ones on the inside of the circle! So, in other words, I had it right all the time, but the text in the rules and training book is wrong. Bah, that wasted some time Sad

Cheers again Ross

Drew

No problem Drew. Examples of play are often written early on and then when the rules change fail to get updated. I am sure that Steve will read this and adjust the examples of play when he gets a spare minute or at least include it in any errata.

Ross
05-11-2014, 05:27 AM
(05-10-2014 04:13 PM)Canvaschicken Wrote:  
(05-10-2014 01:03 PM)drewshotsfan Wrote:  Thanks Ross Smile

Cheers again Ross

Drew

No problem Drew. Examples of play are often written early on and then when the rules change fail to get updated. I am sure that Steve will read this and adjust the examples of play when he gets a spare minute or at least include it in any errata.

Ross

I'm not trying to find fault guys Smile I know it's a big project. I hope you don't mind me pointing these things out chaps Smile

Cheers

Drew
05-11-2014, 01:36 PM
Hi Drew,

The reference to the numbers being 1, 2 or 3 are correct, unfortunately for me the table is incorrect. Found a bad link to an old table. I have placed a revised version in the Revisions page for everyone to use.

The example should read as follows:

Example 33.0-1: As illustrated in Figure 33.0-1, the Fokker Dr.1 is attacking the R.E.8 from the left 30-60 Arc. The Dr.1 has a nose arc of 30D and the R.E. 8 has a nose arc of 0-Lvl. Using the Vertical Angle Off Table to determine the VAO, the number of arcs between 30D and 0-Lvl (using the shortest path around the circle) is 10. The Angle Off Modifier (AOM) is determined by adding the arc values since the Fokker is in a dive and the RE8 is level. The 30D arc has a AOM value of 1 and the 0-Lvl arc has a AOM value of 0, therefore the AOM is 1. Use the Deflection Modifier Table to determine the deflection modifier. Start at the 30-60 column, the Fokkers arc and shift left three columns (the value of the AOM) to the 3 Line column. Cross index the 30 Line column with the VAO row of 10 and read the deflection modifier, -10.

Thank you for the set of fresh eyes Wink
Cheers,

Steve
05-12-2014, 07:07 AM
(05-11-2014 01:36 PM)admin Wrote:  Examples of play are often written early on and then when the rules change fail to get updated. I am sure that Steve will read this and adjust the examples of play when he gets a spare minute or at least include it in any errata.

Well that will teach me to keep quiet until I know what I'm talking about Blush

At least Steve is on the ball Wink

Ross
05-12-2014, 08:24 AM
I sent this to Steve but just in case:

On the example (and perhaps I am missing something here - which is highly likely :-) shouldn't it read (corrections in bold underline):

The Angle Off Modifier (AOM) is determined by adding the arc values since the Fokker is in a dive and the RE8 is level. The 30D arc has a AOM value of 1 and the 0-Lvl arc has a AOM value of 0, therefore the AOM is 1. Use the Deflection Modifier Table to determine the deflection modifier. Start at the 30-60 column, the Fokkers arc and shift left one column (the value of the AOM) to the 30 Line column. Cross index the 30 Line column with the VAO row of 10 and read the deflection modifier, -10.

Cheers

Andy
05-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi Andy,

You are correct. I messed up the typing Blush

Cheers

Steve